This experiential online course introduces participants to play, its therapeutic powers, and a variety of techniques used by play therapists and therapeutic play workers and runs regularly (see dates below). It is an introduction and skill building session that will introduce the therapeutic powers of play and a range of therapeutic play techniques. Participants will develop skills which can be used to enhance relationships with children with whom they have contact in their personal and/or professional life. There will be lots of play and experiential learning built into the day – take home skills galore! It is an ideal introduction to the field and will aid decision-making in regard to possible subsequent training in the field.
Play Therapy Techniques – Demonstrations, practice and feedback
- Introduction to play
- The therapeutic powers of play
- Therapeutic play materials
- Attending and responding to children
- Therapeutic play techniques for improving children’s self-esteem and self-confidence
- Therapeutic play techniques for reducing children’s anxieties
- Therapeutic play techniques for improving children’s emotional understanding
- Therapeutic play techniques to foster children’s holistic development
Learning Outcome: Participants will have developed specific therapeutic play skills and an awareness of:
- The therapeutic powers of play
- Play Therapy Techniques for improving children’s self-esteem and self-confidence
- Play Therapy Techniques for reducing children’s anxieties
- Play Therapy Techniques for improving children’s emotional understanding
- And an increased ability to foster children’s holistic development
APT Approved Provider 11-294
5.5 Play Therapy Credit Hours (Note: Play therapy credit will not be awarded to non-mental health professionals.
Cancellations: In the event of any cancellation a booking fee of €50 will be retained. Full fee is non-refundable in the event of cancellations within 2 weeks of the event, You may nominate another eligible person to take your place – simply notify us and provide us with their contact details.
Upcoming dates & locations:
To book a place click the event title below (the blue italicised text in the format ‘Location: Title‘)
- 09October 9, 2021https://childrenstherapycentre.ie/event/claremorris-play-therapy-techniques-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2/
This is an online course, so participants are required to have: a headset or confidential room to participate in, a computer or other suitable device (e.g. iPad) ideally with a microphone & camera, and uninterrupted wi-fi connection.
Emer holds an MA in Humanistic & Integrative Psychotherapy and Play Therapy and a BA (HONS) in Applied Social Studies in Social Care. She has extensive experience working with children who have experienced domestic violence and also with non residential parents and their children, maintaining and promoting quality contact. Emer has been involved in the Daphne III programme Responding to Child Parent Violence action research project, training in Non Violent Resistance and the Break 4 Change programme targeting services to families affected by Child Parent Violence. Emer has also completed Intensive Filial Therapy Training, and mindfulness training. Emer also provides a family support role with families affected by meningitis. She has developed a number of workshops to support adults such as “You, Your Thoughts & Your ACTions”, addressing stress and anxiety, “Don’t Just Survive, Thrive!, parenting children affected by Meningitis”. She has also developed and facilitated workshops to support whole families including “Reconnecting after Meningitis” and the sibling support workshop “Me Too!”. Emer has worked with the Brothers of Charity services and been involved in a number of Humanitarian aid projects in both Ethiopia and Peru. Currently Emer is in private practice at Acorns 2 Oaks Therapy Services and also provides trainings for professionals working with vulnerable children. Emer facilitates our Level 6 Therapeutic Play Skills Certificate in Galway and also works as a CTC supervisor.