Our QQI Certified courses
We offer QQI validated courses at level 6 (Therapeutic Play Skills), level 8 (Principles of Art Therapy) and level 9 (MA Creative Psychotherapy and Play Therapy). Our QQI certified courses provide recognised academic awards and equip participants with advanced professional skills and qualifications. Courses are suitable for a range of professionals including teachers, child care workers and social workers, so that they can provide therapeutic play experiences within their current professional role or move into a new career as a child and adolescent psychotherapist.
Our Masters programme is a four-year part time course that qualifies you as both a Play Therapist and Psychotherapist, and is fully recognised by professional bodies such as IAHIP and IAPTP.
Therapeutic Play Skills is a Level 6 Minor Award (6N4705) offered on a part-time, blended learning basis. It is an experientially based learning programme which will equip participants to plan, deliver and evaluate both group and individual play based interventions. Participants will engage in creative activities that will enhance personal development, develop insight and awareness, and contribute to understanding, and meeting, the needs of all children including those living in adverse circumstances. Directive and non-directive therapeutic approaches will be addressed. This course will be available at various locations around the country. On completion of the programme and the attainment of 15 credits the learner will be awarded a Level 6 component certificate in Therapeutic Play Skills. This can be used as a component of the Level 6 Major Award in Early Childhood Care and Education (6M2007) or other Major Awards.
This programme runs at a variety of locations (Donegal, Kerry, Limerick, Mullingar, Mountmellick, Galway, Lexlip and Claremorris) around Ireland and can be run specifically for interested groups or agencies. Online Component: Each learner will also have access to the online component of this course for a three month period.
Due to the ongoing Covid-19 restrictions we are now only offering the Therapeutic Play Skills Certificate course as a live online training course.
Applications are accepted by letter/email giving details of the applicants name, address, email and phone numbers, educational background, current employment, and reasons for wishing to complete the course. Email email@example.com . Phone: 086 1962501
- Have a particular interest in the therapeutic powers of play and wish to acquire skills to facilitate children and young people to overcome negative influences and circumstances in their lives.
- Wish to attain a recognized qualification and embark on, or enhance, a professional career in working with children in a range of settings.
- Wish to further their own knowledge and understanding of play and its developmental, educational and therapeutic applications.
- Would like to upskill to enhance employment prospects and/or job satisfaction and promotion opportunities
This award will also be of interest to holders of the Certificate in Early Childhood Care and Education and to others including teachers, therapists, social workers etc whose professional life brings them into regular contact with at-risk children and children in crisis
To access this programme learners should have reached the standards of knowledge, skills and competence associated with level 5 on the National Framework of Qualifications. This may have been achieved through a formal qualification or through relevant life and work experiences.
The aim of this programme is to:
- Equip participants with skills to plan and deliver, individual and group, developmentally appropriate play interventions with children and young people;
- Enable learners to focus on meeting children’s specific needs and facilitate therapeutic interventions in the context of their holistic development using play;
- Enable participants to use play as a therapeutic and developmental medium in a wide range of settings including educational/learning, residential and day care, recreational and hospital;
- Equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence to use play and its developmental, educational and therapeutic applications.
Unit 1 – Play, Child Development, and Service Provision
Unit 2 – Plan for and Support Self-directed Play
Unit 3 – Planning and Implementing Play Interventions: Non Directive Play Skills
Unit 4 – Planning and Implementing Play Interventions: Therapeutic Storytelling
Unit 5 – Planning and implementing Play Interventions: Creative Visualization
Unit 6 – Planning and Implementing Play Interventions: Interactive Play
Unit 7 – Planning and Implementing Play Interventions: Therapeutic Use of Puppets
Unit 8 – Planning and Implementing Play Interventions: Medical Play
Unit 9 – Working with Groups for Personal and Social Development
Unit 10 – Professional Practice
On completion of the programme and the attainment of 15 credits the learner will be awarded a Level 6 component certificate in Therapeutic Play Skills. This can be used as a component of the Level 6 Major Award in Early Childhood Care and Education (6M2007) or other suitable Major Awards.
Cost: €680 (Payment plan options available on request)
Overview of Assignments:
- Project (Practical) 40%: Plan, facilitate and record 1 groupwork and 2 individual play sessions
- Written Assignment 30%: Write a well presented paper (1500 words) in relation to the planning and execution of the 3 creative play sessions presented in portfolio above
- Skills Demonstration 30%: Complete 3 tasks during modules (demonstrate play facilitation skills, lead a group game, make a puppet)
Further Information: Email firstname.lastname@example.org . Phone: 086 1962501