Play therapists often need support in entering new markets and providing a broader range of child and family interventions in addition to play therapy. This workshop is part of a series of training events which support this diversification of practice by play therapists and other suitably qualified professionals.
This experiential training day addresses all that is involved in planning, developing, and delivering therapeutic mental health programmes for children in primary school settings. It focuses on two creative arts based programmes that Edel developed:
- Happy Hearts, Happy Heads – a mental health programme for primary schools. This programme is designed and delivered to raise awareness about mental health in children. A 3 tier approach is used, involving children, parents and teachers, so that everyone gets to learn about mental health and ways big people can look out for little people’s hearts and heads. The children’s sessions include the use of stories, arts and puppets.
- To Leave with Ease – making the transition from primary school to secondary school.This full day programme involves a full school day creative workshop with 6th class students. The idea is to help students with concerns they may have about secondary school, celebrating change and recording positive memories of primary school through creative activities. It also includes a parents workshop (evening) – helping parents to help their children with transition and exploring the world of teenagers.
Content during this training day includes:
- Linking mental health, wellbeing, and personal development with specialised programmes
- Working with schools using a 3 pin approach: children, teachers and parents;
- Setting up and promoting both the Happy Hearts, Happy Heads and the To Leave with Ease programmes;
- Advertising and networking;
- Materials required;
- Delivering both programmes, including content.
Space and technology requirements:
- Sound cancelling headset or confidential room to participate in
- A computer or other suitable device (e.g. i pad), ideally, but not essentially, with built in (or external) microphone, speaker and camera.
- Uninterrupted internet connection
Note: If you have difficulties with sound (microphone or volume) on computer, use of external microphone and/or speakers may work better than adding a second devise.
And if possible, creative materials that include:
- blank A4 sheets and a scissors
- art material – e.g. crayons, colouring pencils, markers
- a selection of miniatures which can be any objects around the house or toys.
- If possible puppets but a teddy or doll can do, if none available don’t worry!
- Something to make music, this can be spoons or a musical instrument.
Edel is the founder and Director of Expressive play, a child and adolescent therapy centre. Edel has over 20 years experience working in a variety of therapeutic support roles with both children and adults. Edel has an a MA in Psychotherapy and Play Therapy and has also trained in Sandplay Therapy, Art Therapy, Puppetry and Social Care. She has a unique blend of experience in a variety of roles including; play therapy, integrative psychotherapy, family therapy, parent support and teaching. Edel is a highly skilled, and natural, therapist and trainer, she truly is a joy to learn from.
Edel teaches on our Level 6 Therapeutic Play Skills Certificate in Kerry and also designs and facilitates a range of our CPD training events. Edel specialises in facilitating workshops in our series of training events which support the diversification of practice by play therapists and other suitably qualified professionals, including teachers, psychotherapists, social workers, psychologists, early years teachers, family support workers and project workers.
Cancellations: In the event of any cancellation a booking fee of €50 will be retained. Full fee is non-refundable in the event of cancellations within 2 weeks of the event, You may nominate another eligible person to take your place – simply notify us and provide us with their contact details.
Upcoming dates & locations
To book a place click the event title below (the blue italicised text in the format ‘Location: Title‘)
- 12July 12, 2020https://childrenstherapycentre.ie/event/dublin-delivering-therapeutic-mental-health-programmes-in-schools-2/
You can chose to pay only a €50 deposit now, with the remainder automatically charged three weeks prior to the course begining.