The aim of the validated course is to develop an understanding of the main principles of Art Therapy and enhance personal and professional development through an experiential, creative process. For many this introduction may be a step towards training as a qualified Art Therapist, for others it may serve as CPD to enhance therapeutic skills or develop a more sympathetic understanding of the role of art and creativity in therapy, rehabilitation and development work. Each weekend students will participate in experiential workshops with qualified arts therapists. A variety of approaches to the process of Art Therapy will be introduced through workshops, lectures and seminars. The award is a 10 credit, Level 8 Certificate (note many other introductory courses do not have this important validation!). The course runs one weekend (Friday night and full day Saturday) per month for 8 months.
Crawford College of Art & Design Award delivered by CTC
Dublin based course starting again in January 2020
The Principles of Art Therapy Certificate (formerly Art Therapy Foundation Course) is a QQI Level 8 (10 credit) certificate comprising of two 5 credit assessed modules. This course provides an opportunity to explore Art Therapy within a group setting. Each weekend students will participate in experiential workshops with qualified arts therapists. A variety of approaches to the process of Art Therapy will be introduced through workshops, lectures and seminars.
For many this certificate course may be a step towards training as a qualified Art Therapist or Play Therapist; for others it may contribute to continuing professional development and serve to enhance understanding of the role of the arts in rehabilitation and development work.
• During the course each weekend is themed around a key principle of the art therapy process. Lectures will be explore how the process can work in a range of contexts, and with clients of various ages, from Psychiatry, Probation, Palliative Care, Education, to Learning Disabilities. Topics vary from year to year.
• Experiential workshops, facilitated by qualified, registered arts therapists, will provide participants with experience of a range of different approaches to facilitating a group; directive, theme-based, non-directive, etc.
• Seminars offer opportunities to ask questions and discuss ideas with visiting and course tutors.
• Participants are required to complete a couple of written assignments and keep a personal journal throughout the course.
• A QQI level 8 Principles of Art Therapy Certificate (Special Purpose Award) is awarded on completion of the course.
The experiential nature of this course can be emotionally and psychologically challenging. The candidate’s previous life experiences will be explored at interview with this in mind. Applicants should be aware of this. Any concerns can be addressed at interview.
Provisional Course dates:
The course runs over 8 weekends between Jan and June 2020, Friday night from 7.15 – 9pm, and Saturday from 9.30 – 5.15. Please note that dates are still provisional.
10th – 11th Jan 2020
31st Jan- 1st Feb 2020
28th – 29th Feb 2020
20th – 21st March 2020
17th – 18th April 2020
15th – 16th May 2020
5th – 6th June 2020
20th June 2020
Friday 7.15pm – 9pm: Lecture
Saturday 9.30 – 12.00: Experiential Workshop 1
12.00 – 1pm: Lunch
1pm – 3.30pm: Experiential Workshop 2
3.30 – 4pm: Tidy up and Tea/Coffee Break
4pm – 5.15pm: Seminar, Feedback, Reflections
The cost is €1450 including registration and exam fees.
MACRO Community Resource Centre, 1 Green St, Dublin 7
Car Parking available in Dublin City Council’s Car Park in Mary’s Lane or Parnell Street Car Park or on-street parking on North King Street. Luas from Jervis St or Four Courts (5 mins). Buses to Manor St and Bolton St.
It is recommended that applicants have a level 7 award, or prior experience in community education, art, health or social sector work (including counselling and/or psychotherapy). Those with no formal qualifications or art experience will also be considered
Phone 086 1962501 (Siobhán) or 087 2055616 (Claire)